Emergency Readiness! Are you ready for whatever happens?
There are two keys to weather safety. They are to be prepared for worst and to act accordingly.
- First things first, you should build an emergency kit and make a family communications plan.
- Be familiar with your environment and surroundings.
- Learn about whether or not your property is flood-prone.
- Identify dams and flood zones in the surrounding area.
- Learn community hurricane evacuation routes and how to find higher ground.
- Have a plan to secure your property
- Be sure trees and shrubs around your home are well trimmed so they are more wind resistant.
- Clear loose and clogged rain gutters and downspouts.
- Plan to bring in all outdoor furniture, decorations, garbage cans and anything else that is not tied down.
- Determine how and where to secure your outdoor vehicles.
- Install a generator for emergencies.
- If in a high-rise building, when high winds are present, be prepared to take shelter on a lower floor because wind conditions increase with height, and in a small interior room without windows.
- Consider building a safe room.